Center for Rural Health History
For over twenty-five years, the Center for Rural Health (formerly Rural Health Office) has served the State of Arizona through its mission to promote the health of rural and medically underserved individuals, families, and communities through service, education, and research.
In 1990, under the authority of congressional legislation that launched the State Offices of Rural Health grant program, the Arizona State Office of Rural Health (AzSORH) grant program was established during the first tier of funding for the national SORH program.
Now situated within the University of Arizona Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health, the AzSORH program forms the core infrastructure, along with legislated funding from the state of Arizona, for the Center for Rural Health. The Center for Rural Health's combined state, federal, and other funding sources are collectively coordinated to positively impact rural and border health.
An advantage of the Center for Rural Health's location within the University of Arizona Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health (UA Mel Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health) is our ability to use flexible and innovative resources to respond to the needs of rural constituents. In addition to education and research, the Mel Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health places a strong focus on community outreach, practice, and service.
The Center for Rural Health extends its service and expertise through a variety of programs in addition to and overlapping with AzSORH, including:
Center for Rural Health
- Arizona State Office of Rural Health
- Arizona Rural Women's Health Initiative
- Arizona Rural Hospital Flexibility Program
- Arizona Small Rural Hospital Improvement Program
- Arizona Telemedicine Program
- Arizona Battered Immigrant Women Project
- Rural People, Rural Policy Project
- Arizona State Workforce Study
- Rural Health Outreach / Network Grant Evaluation and Technical Assistance
- Southwest Border and Rural Health Research Center
- Rural Health Policy Regional Forums
Mel Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health
- Southwest Public Health Leadership Initiative
- Native American Partners in Public Health
- Border Health Strategic Initiative/Border Health ¡SI!
Center for Rural Health Partners
In addition, the Center for Rural Health is an active partner and collaborator with rural stakeholders throughout the state, including:
- Arizona Department of Health Services (State Primary Care Organization)
- Arizona Association of Community Health Centers (State Primary Care Association)
- Arizona Area Health Education Center system
- Arizona Rural Health Association
- Inter-Tribal Council of Arizona
- Numerous other groups at the county, tribal, and community levels