The mission of the Pima County BIWP Task Force is safety and empowerment for immigrant victims of sexual and domestic violence in Pima County. The Task Force is led by Montserrat Caballero and Jean McClelland, and meets every other month on the third Friday from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM* (unless otherwise noted) in the board room at Catholic Social Service, 140 W. Speedway Blvd.
April 2013 Events
On Friday, April 19 the PBIWT hosted its first annual awards luncheon at La Fuente Restaurant, 1749 N. Oracle Road from 11am-1pm, honoring Laura Brynwood, Retired City Prosecutor.
This new annual luncheon is in an effort to recognize the commitment and dedication of the network of professionals that has worked tirelessly to carry out the mission of the Taskforce: safety and empowerment for immigrant victims of sexual and domestic violence.
Over the last 15 years, we have accomplished an amazing set of goals and objectives: hundreds of professionals trained, the sustained public awareness campaign A Life Free of Violence is Everyone’s Right, legal and crisis/advocacy services provided all over Pima County, and the production of our training and public awareness video, just to name a few.
We gathered to celebrate these past accomplishments and reinvigorate ourselves to continue this work on behalf of vulnerable survivors.
We recognized many people who have worked with us, including awarding the first ever Ernie Mejia Service Award. Chief Mejia was a founding member of the Pima Taskforce in 1998 and we honor his legacy of protection for everyone, regardless of immigration status. Also in attendance were Congressman Raul Grijalva, City Councilwoman Regina Romero, and County Supervisor Richard Elias, who were also recognized for their support of victims of violence, regardless of their immigration status.
Task Force Co-Coordinator Contact
- Friday, June 21, 2013 @ 10:00AM - 1:00PM, Catholic Social Service, board room, 140 W. Speedway Blvd
- Friday, August 16, 2013, @ 10:00AM - 1:00PM, Catholic Social Service, board room, 140 W. Speedway Blvd
- Friday, October 18, 2013, @ 10:00AM - 1:00PM, Catholic Social Service, board room, 140 W. Speedway Blvd
- Friday, Dec.r 20, 2013, @ 10:00AM - 1:00PM, Catholic Social Service, board room, 140 W. Speedway Blvd
Task Force Member Agencies
- Su Voz Vale
- The Southern Arizona Center Against Sexual Assault (SACASA)
- Southern Arizona Legal Aid (SALA)
- The Mexican Consulate - Tucson
- Pima County Attorney's Office, Victim Witness
- Emerge Center Against Domestic Abuse
- The International Rescue Committee, Tucson, Center for Well-Being
- The University of Arizona Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health