2017 Conference Wrap-Up
The 44th Annual Arizona Rural Health Conference was an energizing and inspiring event. Held in conjunction with the Pre-Conference Workshop: “Understanding & Leveraging the Economic Impact of Rural Health Care” (a Rural Health Works Regional Workshop) at the High Country Conference Center in Flagstaff. Over 180 registrants discussed rural health, fostered collaboration, and reported on Arizona programs and projects. The presentations and workshops allowed for networking, developing partnerships and exchanging best practices with health care professionals, administrators, policymakers, state and local leaders, and others from state and federal agencies.
I thank all of the attendees, AzAHEC, AzRHA, the planning committee, and Center for Rural Health staff for putting this outstanding conference together.
I look forward to building on our successes and continuously improving rural health in Arizona!
Daniel J. Derksen, M.D. Professor
Walter H. Pearce Endowed Chair & Director, Center for Rural Health
Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health
► Please enjoy this look back in pictures!
» A news article in The Arizona Daily Sun featured this year's conference!
Pre-conference - Monday, July 24
Conference Presentations - Tuesday, July 25
- Rural Health and Wellness: Why Policy Matters - Paul Moore (Andrew W. Nichols Rural and Border Health Policy Lecture)
- Access to Care in Rural Arizona: Setting the Stage - Marcus Johnson
- Arizona's Rural Health in Peril: House and Senate Bills - Dan Derksen
- How Economic Impact Supports Health Care - Cheryl St Clair, Gerald Doeksen, Greg Ensell
- Arizona Community Foundation | Understanding the Community Impact Loan Fund - James Lincoln
- AHCCCS and Marketplace Changes for Fall 2017 - Allen Gjersvig and Bryna Koch
- Making the Case for Arizona AHEC - Elizabeth Arrendondo, Marica Martinic, Jeri Byrne, Martha McNair, Gail Emrick
- Data for Social Change & Health Equity - Bryna Koch and Jennifer Peters
- The social ecological impact of a backyard gardening program on rural food desert communities in Pinal County, AZ - Elizabeth Kizer, MS
- Identifying and Alleviating Health Workforce Shortage in Arizona - Tracy Lenartz, Ana Roscetti
- Increasing Patient Satisfaction in a Rural Hospital Emergency Department: A Quality Improvement Project - Ali Gabriel, Ken Goranson,Teresa Vincifora
Conference Presentations - Wednesday, July 26
- Dental Therapy, Improving Access to Quality Dental Care in Rural Arizona - Kristin Boilini, Alida Montiel, Kim Russell
- Roadmap: Practice and Transformation - Melissa Kotrys
- SLWIC/UHC an Affiliated Dental Hygienist Practice in Rural Communities - Amanda Aguirre, Isabell Arias
- Community and Academic Collaboration is a Win-Win for Rural Workforce Development - Allen Prettyman, Christy Pacheco
- Improving Rural Health Through Clinical Training at Community Health Centers - Leonard Goldstein
- Somerton Community Partnerships Against Bullying - Alex Bejarano, Alex Sachs
- Youth Leadership Development - Robert Fleet
- Performance Improvement Tool for Rural Primary Care Practices - Joyce Hospodar