Healthcare coverage for low-income and sick patients in Arizona is extremely limited. One of the few relatively affordable options for the uninsured is the Pre-existing Condition Insurance Plan (PCIP). PCIP coverage is intended to serve as bridge for coverage until 2014 when health insurance exchanges become operational and the regulation ensuring people can no longer be denied coverage based on their health status is in place.
More than 70,000 people are now covered by PCIP since the program started in 2010. PCIP enrollment has not been as successful as it could be due in large part due to the lack of a marketing campaign. Grassroots efforts in Arizona and other states have helped increase PCIP enrollment, but they have had only limited success.
The Arizona Hospital and Healthcare Association, along with other healthcare partners, have produced commercials in English and Spanish to help generate public awareness of the program. The commercials are captivating, appeals to a wide audience and it has tremendous potential to grow PCIP enrollment at a faster pace.
These commercials are free for anyone to download and link to the YouTube versions. Here is the link to a background webpage with downloadable and online versions of the commercials:
- PCIP English Version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6k-w5Kw9FM&feature=relmfu
- PCIP Spanish Version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d5rnA_med0
We hope everyone – healthcare providers, community groups and the general public – will help promote the commercials so patients with pre-existing conditions will learn about PCIP and enroll in the program.
Please consider using the commercials in the following ways:
· Distribute this memo to all of your contacts;
· If you are a healthcare provider, show the commercials to patients in waiting areas in healthcare settings;
· Add the link to the YouTube version of the commercials on your web pages, Facebook, Blogs, etc.;
· Distribute the commercials through electronic media and encourage others to do the same;
· and, make a donation to air the commercials on television.
For additional information about the commercial and ways to donate to purchase air time, please contact Pete Wertheim at firstname.lastname@example.org or at the following phone numbers: (602) 445-4318 (office) or (602) 515-3847 (cell).